Fleas are an all year round problem for both you and your pet, but they are easy to prevent. Cats pick up fleas very easily and the female flea lays hundreds of eggs which fall off their coat into your home. These eggs develop into larvae in the carpet and furnishings, before hatching into adult fleas. They hatch all year round but the process speeds up at particular times of the year, such as the summer when it is warmer or in autumn when the central heating is turned on.
In your home, only 5% of the flea life cycle takes place on your cat, the other 95% takes place in the environment. It is important, therefore, if your cat has fleas, to treat both your cat and the house to kill all the flea life stages. One easy way to treat your cat is to use a spot on treatment (see below) and we recommend you treat the house with a spray called Indorex which lasts for up to 12 months.
It is also important to establish a regular worming routine as worms can cause illness in your cat.
There are two groups of worms that may affect your pet:
- The most common is the roundworm particularly in kittens. An infection with roundworms may not be obvious but can cause a pot belly, poor growth and coat, and intestinal upsets.
- The other type of worm is the tapeworm and cats can become infected when grooming themselves if they have fleas. Cats can also pick up tapeworms from their prey if they are hunters.
Both types of worms can be treated easily with tablets.
We recommend one of the three following regimes for cats for fleas and worms:
- Broadline spot-on for fleas, ticks, roundworms and tapeworms monthly. No need for a worming tablet.
- Stronghold Plus spot-on once a month for fleas, ticks and then use Milbemax for roundworm and tapeworm every 3-6 months.
- Seresto collar for fleas and ticks once every 6 months with Milbemax for all worms every 3 – 6 months.
We recommend that you bring your kitten in once a month for a free check with the nurses; they can weigh him or her and advise on the correct dose of flea treatment and wormer. If your cat is a hunter, you may need to treat as often as every 6 weeks for tapeworms.