Halloween

Halloween is fun for children and families but for some pets it can be a nightmare. Please be careful this weekend and especially watch out for those common dangers!

  1. Prevent your pet from trick-or-treating
  2. If you suspect that your pet has consumed any candy or chocolate – please contact your vet as soon as possible to seek advice.
  3. All types of chocolate, especially baking or dark chocolate is toxic and can be lethal for dogs and cats. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning can consist of vomiting, diarrhoea, difficulty breathing normally, increased heart rate and seizures. Also, some sweets and gum contain Xylitol, which is a highly toxic ingredient to dogs. Even small amounts can cause symptoms such as seizures and loss of coordination. The artificial sweetener can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar.
  4. Keep your pet safe and indoors Fireworks, large crowds and pranksters can cause a lot of distress for your pet. Keep them away from the front door where there will be people coming and going in unusual costumes. Dogs are territorial and might become anxious by trick-or-treaters intruding their home. Cats can also become stressed and run way. We have further information about fireworks and how to help with scenarios like this here

  5. Beware of pumpkins! Although they are relatively non toxic, consumption can cause blockages. Also lit pumpkins can be a fire hazard around clumsy pets or run the risk of burning pets.
  6. Fancy Dress Refrain from dressing up your pet in a costume unless it is safe and your pet is happy to wear it. Try them on before the big night when they have your full attention to test for allergies, abnormal behaviour and signs of distress.
  7. Identification Ensure your dog or cat has been microchipped. It is also useful to put a collar on them with an ID tag inscribed with up to date contact details.